Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of status (AOS) is the immigration process an individual can use to apply for Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status while present in the United States. For individuals outside the United States, they must apply for LPR status through the consular process. Individuals may be ineligible to adjust status if they entered the United States without authorization.

Individuals To be eligible for adjustment of status, the individual must first be eligible for one the LPR or “Green Card” categories through.

Individuals eligible for Lawful Permanent Residence or “Green Card” may apply for adjustment of status through:

  • Family
  • Employment
  • Refugee or asylee status
  • Human trafficking victim
  • Victim of abuse
  • Special immigrant status
  • Other categories

An individual who is eligible to file for adjustment of status must first have an approved petition. Certain individuals may file an application to adjust status concurrently with filing the immigration petition.

Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

The form used to adjust status is the Form I-485. This includes questions about personal information, immigration history, application type or immigration category, and eligibility or inadmissibility grounds.

After filing Form I-485, the applicant will receive a notice for a biometrics services at a local Application Support Center (ASC). The biometrics are used to verify identity and conduct background and security checks.

If an interview is required, the applicant will be scheduled for an interview to answer questions at a USCIS office. The USCIS will then issue a written decision to approve or deny the application.

Contact Us

If you have any questions about adjustment of status while present in the United States, contact the Law Office of Nita Kundanmal today. We handle all aspects of family and employment immigration law in New Jersey and New York and throughout the United States.

Contact Us Today

If you need legal advice relating to any immigration matter, you should contact an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible to give you the best chance for success. Contact the Law Office of Nita Kundanmal for help with your immigration concerns.